Thursday 22 November 2007

Identity Theft

The latest 'worry' to hit the media is the loss of two data discs containing an estimated 15-25 million personal records. Heads have rolled as the media has been full of speculation that the data will be sought after by fraudsters, misused and the innocent people’s identity will be stolen. It's horrible when personal space is violated whether that be through a burglary or someone pretending to be me and using my financial details to get goods and services. It's never happened yet, but with all this computer data floating around on the super highway, I guess it will only be a matter of time.

Spiritually it’s even more frightening when the devil tries to steal our identity in Christ! Unlike my personal space, this has happened in the past. In Paul's epistles, his favourite catchphrase is "being in Christ". It's good to know and take comfort from the fact that my identity is secure through the blood shed at Calvary. That's how I'm viewed according to Colossians 3. That's an amazing thought - no reality! And what a hope.

So if someone wants to steal my personal details and get things by deception, so be it. They will never steal my identity in Christ, unless I let them through fear and moving away from Christ. I read today “we are intermingled with Christ!” and I’ll settle for that! What an awesome reality! Be well, be encouraged.

No comments: