Thursday 15 November 2007

Generosity

Am I generous in the time I give to my family, my friends? My son has just presented me with a Red Card! "Too much time spent on the computer Dad - come through and watch TV with mum and us". Just been reading about generous giving and the blessings that follow. Am I content with my lot? Do I 'covet', am I envious of others? No, I've got to say, I count myself to be a content chap with a lovely family and a brilliant church to lead that has it's challenges but is rich in diversity in ministry. And no I'm not one of those who says “If only I had a better house, a bigger car, more money … then I would be content”

I've realised in this life that for me, everything I have I've been gifted by God.

Hudson Taylor, is a man whose name I share, founded the China Inland Mission. Thousands were converted through his ministry. I read this account of his early life before China. It really challenged me. Do I share anything in common with Hudson Taylor apart from his name - his generosity perhaps?

At the age of 27 he was preparing to go to China and was working hard during the week and then ministering at weekends. He lived a frugal life and ate a bowl of porridge in the morning and a bowl of gruel on alternate nights. One day he was asked to go and pray for a poor man and his wife, who was dying. The only money he possessed in the world was his week’s wages of half a crown. When he saw their poverty, he wanted to give. He said that if he had two shillings and a sixpence he would have given the shilling. When he saw the poverty of the mother and the five children, he felt he would gladly have given one shilling and sixpence. As he talked about the love of the heavenly Father he felt a hypocrite as he was not prepared to trust God without two shillings and sixpence. He would gladly have given two shilling and kept sixpence. Eventually he responded to their request for prayer and started to pray “Our Father … “ He struggled through the Lord’s Prayer. The husband said “If you can help us, for God’s sake, do!” After an immense struggle, he gave them the only money he possessed in the world, half a crown. Joy flooded his heart. He sang all the way home. The next morning he received an unexpected letter, which also contained with it a pair of gloves and half a sovereign. He had received a 400% return on his investment in twelve hours. And the incident was a turning point in his life. He had learned to trust God in little things.

It's a thought! Whatever we can give, God multiplies. I've become sidetracked and need to remind myself I'm best contented when I'm in the business of investing in people’s lives. My motivation - to see lives changed, people accepting the kingdom of God as their value system, drug addicts set free, marriages restored and the sick healed. Isn't it great though to get occasional glimpses of God's power at work through His people? And it all begins when I give generously in time, talent and treasure. God let me be generous in all things today.

3 comments:

caldjr said...

Like the red card idea Iain - don't tell Kathryn about it yet though cos I know I sometimes spend too much time on the computer instead of quality time with her and C-A. trouble is, I know when i'm on the computer i'm usually blogging or facebooking or playing and not actually doing prep for stuff so it all backs up and then C-A and K dont see me much for three days before our next event! But yeah, you're right - we have an amazing array of gifts from God and we must cherish them at all times and not take them for granted.

Anyway, welcome to the blog world. What's going on - first facebook ... now this ... where will it end!!

Thanks for the link in your blog roll btw - must point out the link isn't working - too many http://'s in the address for some reason Iain.

Anyway, hope all is well with you and yours ... must catch up again some time soon.

blessings from the Rous's

Iain Hudson and Jim Cassidy said...

ta vm, Dan - first comment on my blog goes to you. Amended the link - not sure what happened as the others were OK.

It's the influence of our Gorgie Youth responsible for this sudden upsurge in Web activity in the Hudson household. I'm still getting medical help for it - but the tablets aren't working. Oh no, here comes a Red Card!!!

caldjr said...

that Gorgie Youth has a lot to answer for! Off to hide any red card or paper that may be in the house!