Monday 8 December 2008

Christmas Collecting Reflections

On Pricess Street today - street is thronging with people rushing here and there with bags loaded with presents. Amazed at those who stop when they see me in my uniform and am greeted with a warm smile and comments like "never pass the sally army", "you do good work", "you're my favourite charity".

But one lady said something to me that really made me think. Grabbing a crumpled £5 note from her purse, she pushed it in the box saying, "when I think what I spend on other things, this is a poor donation" Wow I thought - its a shame some of my corps folk don't think like you.... and then I thought hard about me. And what about you Iain, what have you given? Yes I could tott up the extra hours of carolling, toys and tin parcels, but what about my giving? I don't give anything extra at Christmas other than my time. And yet I'm happy to receive from people in the street who have no affiliation to the corps or Salvation Army. What can I give him poor as I am ... Is my heart totally given to God? Or am I being distracted like everyone else by the frivolities of this season.

No comments: